Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Things that happen when you go to the gym

More accurately, things that happened to me when I go to the gym. I don’t bloody know what happens to anyone else, I can scarcely believe I am doing what I’m doing.

I joined a new gym when we moved last year. Or more accurately a couple of months after we moved. Me, procrastinate? I was going a few times a week, enjoying it but not making any other changes.  Then the gym launched a challenge for the month of June- to do one each of their strength, flexibility and cardio classes, each week for four weeks. Not exactly climbing Everest. You could go the whole hog and get nutrition advice, cooking classes etc, but really, I know what to eat. I just eat about four times as much as I should. I cut out alcohol for the month of June as an extra-fun bonus, just to see if I could. June was a horrible month to start sobriety for me- end of financial year ain’t fun. But there is never a good time, and it really wasn't that hard. Those four weeks were enough to get me hooked, and to be fully sucked in to the strange, strange world of people who enjoy exercise. I also got a prize of a gym logo tshirt, and you can bet your bippy I wear that sucker all the time. To the gym obvs, because that is the place for activewear. 

  • You sleep better and you properly wake up 

My alarm goes off at 5.20am every morning for a 5.45am class. That’s weird. What’s weirder is that I rarely need it, I’m awake before then naturally. Awake and actually ready to go. No brain fog, no dreading getting out of bed. I look forward to it. That’s the weirdest.
Sure I‘m going to bed at an even more nanna-like hour than I normally did, but I sleep. And I’m rested. And surely nothing good happens after 9.30pm on a weeknight?

I now can’t imagine missing that extra hour of my day that I get. It’s like a bonus, a gift to myself and time when I can do something for myself. I have achieved something before I even get dressed for work and I don’t have to think about when I can exercise. It’s done, no excuses needed, nothing to come up in my day to stop me from working out or major hurdles that mean I just can't get to a night class.

  • Food gets digested ridiculously quickly

I am starving. STARVING. Tummy rumbling hungry. It's these times you need to be really, really prepared, at least mentally, because I would eat whatever is put in front of me. I don't have super strong cravings for anything anymore, but I just want all of the food, all of the time. 
  • Your brain works differently
The physical changes have been subtle but welcome. Far, far more important are the mental ones. I am nicer. Calmer. So much more focused  Nowhere near as much fazes me as it did before. If I can smash out TRX crunches, after not being able to even get my legs in the bloody things when I first started, I can do anything. Ha. Sort of. 

  • Your skin is the best. The best! 
So many people have commented on my skin lately. This old duck is loving it sick. I kind of forget what it's like to have any sort of problem with my skin, what a spoilt brat. Whether it's from eating slightly better, or the approximately 1700 litres of sweat, who knows. WHO CARES? 

But it's not all sunshine and rainbows. I do about 500% more washing than I used to. It never ends. It stinks. It is annoying. But totally, totally worth it. If that's not #fitspo I don't know what is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...