Monday, January 9, 2017

It's 2017

You know it’s a new year when your voicemail tells you painstakingly slowly that a message was received in two… thousand… and…. six… teen… because listening to your messages on the first day back isn't painful enough, Optus has to drag out that pain a couple more seconds.
And just like that, the short break feeling has gone and I’m pretty close to wanting to throw my phone through a window again. Well, if us office workers had opening windows, and my phone wouldn't bounce off the glass back at me. I somehow got through that painful first week, where you think it's going to be really quiet, but in reality, everyone who is at work has been waiting for you to come back and pounce. Only 13 days, 9 of them working, til holidays.
In my standard tradition of getting a sudden burst of enthusiasm for this blog, which will die off around the 10th of January, I want to check in on the very loose, very random goals I set for myself for 2016. Most of them were a failure on paper, mainly because my focus shifted elsewhere. I started going to the gym. I became one of those people. I also got another dog. The one that looks like an absolute angel, but is actually the devil in French Bulldog form. She took up a lot of time. Totally worth every chewed skirting board and ripped lounge, she has brought so much fun into our house. 

Without using #goals, #newyearresolutions or #newyearnewme, these are the main things I want to do this year:

Stop multitasking. I am an absolutely shocker at this. I’ll be looking up a policy wording and all of a sudden get the urge to check what gym classes I am booked in for for the week. While I walk to the office from the carpark I suddenly have to check the weather for the day, which I’ve already checked, and really is a bit late to do anything about, since I’m already at work. Right now while writing this I’ve toggled screens several times, and I’m thinking about logging in to online banking, which I do at least daily, to check my account balance. WHY? What good does this do me? Why does my mind wander like that? It’s because I am so bloody used to multitasking that my brain has to constantly search for something else to do, whatever it is doing. This has to stop. Multitasking is not a skill to be proud of any more. It means I can no longer maintain a train of thought, and I never remember anything because I just open my evernote app to write down whatever I’m thinking. Sure, this is handy at times, but I used to actually remember things. I want to remember things again.

Seriously think about further study. Last year, after some heavy conversations with my then-boss, I did a fair bit of research into doing an MBA. I have submitted applications to my favourite two Sydney schools. Is my heart in it 100%? No. should it be? I don’t know. After watching The Minimalist doco it’s definitely not. But is that me doing some self-sabotage, willing myself out of it? I don’t know. I am worried that level of study would mean not enough doggy time. Not enough gym time. But I also worry that I’m not doing enough.

Keep up at least 5 gym classes a week. I have been smashing it at the gym lately. No, really, let me brag some more. I'll probably do a long-winded post about this, but I actually love the gym. Not even kidding. It's been over 6 months now and I want to keep it up. 

Other stuff I want to tick off in 2017, in no particular order:
Yoga headstand 
Yoga bird of paradise- properly, no wobbles


Run 10kms

Use good things, stop 'saving' stuff for special occasions 

Stretch every day 

Vitamins every day 
Eat meat no more than once a week
Eat less chicken 
No engaging in online arguments, less time online in general
Takeaway once a week only, cook more at home 
Don't buy anything made in China, Taiwan etc 
Go overseas at least once
Wardrobe cull at the start of every new season 
Read every night

No biggie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...