Tuesday, January 8, 2013

It's 2013!

So today I'm working from home, or trying to, but some idiot locked herself out of her Telstra card and is waiting on someone to call me back to unblock it. 
I wanted to work from home because 
a) Sydney is meant to be 43 degrees today, catastrophic bushfire warnings, etc, and I was a bit freaked out about Marcel in the heat. I got up early to walk him while it wasn't too warm, and he's currently snoring on a pile of blankets, so he can't be too bothered!
b) on Friday I got stung by a sting ray. It was insane pain, vomiting, passing out, bleeding etc and a weekend of not moving further than the couch. I can't even begin to recount the story, I get cold chills thinking of the pain. I had to go into work yesterday but today I can afford to take it a bit easy at home. Well, very easy if Telstra don't hurry up and get back to me.

Anyway, it's about time I set some goals for the year. These would have been earlier if it weren't for the a-hole sting ray! So here they are.

1. Declutter, declutter, declutter
So everyone is doing it, so they should, it feels great. Mr C and I are by no means hoarders, we live very simply compared to most of our peers. What really hit home how little we need for me was when we were renovating our investment property. It's less than 50sqm with no garage, and we both used to live there, with all of our stuff. Where did everything else come from to fill our place now? 
We started over the Christmas break by:
- cleaning out and repainting the laundry. Mr C even put up some hooks for our washing and recycling baskets. Legend. 
- cleaning Mr C's wardrobe out. Last year he lost just under 20kgs and obviously has a LOT of clothes he needed to get rid of. Man needs a shopping spree, stat. 



- cleaning out the pantry. Since Mr C insists on everything in glass jars as part of his new healthy self, the pantry was in chaos. I had no idea where anything was. No more, now it is a zen place for chia seeds and coconut oil
- cleaning out our Ikea bookshelf. (An aside, does everyone in Australia have one of these?) All of these books need to be read, pronto, then taken to Vinnies. Which leads me to: 

2. Mindful spending
Why am I buying magazines when I have a hundred books to read and a million TV shows downloaded to watch? I have a couple of subscriptions (bought with work reward points) and that is more than enough. This also means:
- no more random browsing on ASOS, Ebay. The stuff I buy always ends up getting culled because it's never 'perfect.' Apart from the best white tshirt and some work pants (see here) which I love, most of it is crapola and not what I really want or need
- less takeaway. I am super lucky that my husband is a brilliant, healthy cook. When it's my turn to cook I so often get takeaway. No more. We'll meal plan and shop properly

3. Travel! 
2012 saw us take one Australian holiday, which was fantastic, but I'm getting a bit itchy for another big trip. I need to let go of how much I'll miss Marcel and make the most of what little youth I have left. I'm thinking Mexico & the US. 

4. Exercise 
Last year I had a great routine going on. As soon as sting ray foot is better I'm back to it. This means:
- one weights session minimum per week
- one yoga class per week
- keep paddle boarding. Before a-hole sting ray got me I was killing it. This year, I will catch a wave on it. I will. 
- compete in another ocean swim. I got the biggest buzz out of completing one (not very quickly, but finishing) and I want to do another. I'll actually train for this one!
- compete in another fun run. I did one last year and again, I want to train for one!

5. Eating
I am loathe to use the word 'diet.' I HATE that word with a passion, using it means you're pretty much guaranteed to fail. For me, eating well this year means
- quitting Coke Zero. I allowed myself a free pass on New Years Day (knowing I'd be major hung and resistance would be futile) and started on the 2nd. So far, no Zero. Am pretty proud of myself for this, I was a major coke/ crack head!
- properly cutting out sugar. I did it half-arsed when my husband did it and felt great. I am by no means a sweet tooth but gosh eating basically no processed food is hard
- cutting out soy milk. I don't do dairy milk and have started to get a bit weird with soy. I am in two minds about the evidence on the 'badness' of soy but have grown so accustomed to the taste it's not going to be easy. Long blacks- gross!

6. Positivity
Being in the environment that I'm in, and distancing myself from some 'friends' means that I was dwelling in a bit of negativity in 2012. This stops this year. I have so much to be grateful for and really need to focus on that. 

On that note, I'll leave you with a photo of Marcel in the sun. Not 43 degree heat sun.



3 comments:

  1. Most of your resolutions are pretty much identical to mine :-)

    I also have a cola addiction but mine is Diet Coke / Pepsi max - daily habit. 2 days sober so I feel your pain, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your resolutions! mine are pretty similar, but with less sporty ambitions! I've started clean eating as much as I can and I'm loving it. well done kicking the coke zero addiction so far, I've pretty much cut out coke but my weakness is energy drinks. so bad.

    hope your foot feels better soon, I can't even imagine what that must have been like, you poor thing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are recovering well... I can't even imagine the pain you were in. I love reading new year resolutions and goals. Mine are quite similar with the decluttering, mindful spending, travel and health.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...