Friday, January 14, 2011

Floods and crazy times

I have been trying to think of words to post about the floods in Queensland. I still can't.

Last week when the news had snippets of water-logged country towns I thought little of it. In the industry I work in I hear about disasters and smaller scale losses nearly every day. When I got an email saying my Brisbane office was being evacuated boy did I start paying attention. 
The extent of the damage is amazing. So many lives lost because of weather patterns. The story of Jordan Rice, the little boy who wanted his brother rescued first just breaks my heart and I am crying just thinking about his gorgeous little face.

The shock I felt over the past few days has turned to anger at looters and people taking advantage of the situation. I want to hear the stories of spirit and mateship and overcoming this horror, not these morons. Paul Pisasale, the mayor of Ipswich had a great idea about using them as flood markers.

Mixed in with this sorrow and devastation I am already starting to get sick of the insurance company bashing. Having worked in home and farm insurance I would love a dollar for every time I offered a customer something, they didn't want to pay for it, and they then turn around and demand it be covered when something happens. This is a massive scale and I am sure there are many genuine cases that deserve thought but please, look into things a smidgen before you ring a radio station and rant about something you have no idea about.

My mum is on flood watch in Victoria and she is starting to get scared. Though she is pretty high she will be isolated if the waters get much higher and she hasn't wanted to go into the shop. But what do you do? Life must go on to some extent. I hope her puppy isn't too scared, he is a bit of a wimp!

My heart goes out to all those people who had no choice but to leave their animals behind.

Anna Bligh is a woman who I have always admired (even if I don't agree with some of the things she stands for) but she has come out of this looking like a bloody legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...